Saturday 19 June 2021

FATHER

I feel his hand on my shoulder

Reassuringly

When I am unsure of myself

Or hesitant

I see him watch me sagely

When I seek enlightenment

I see him smile with pride

When I succeed

Or with head inclined to comfort

When I fail

He is with me late at night

Watching Bogey and Bacall

I see his reflection on the lake

When I am fishing

And I hear him cheering loudly

Whenever we beat Australia

His smile sustains me

His words engage me

His strength supports me

His compassion inspires me

I shared joy with him

When my children were born

And sorrow when

My mother passed away

He stood behind me

In church on my wedding day

And beside me

At the reception when we toasted

At quiet moments I detect

The fragrance of old spice

Or the acrid tell tale aroma

Of his pipe tobacco

He is with me now

As I write these words

Though he has been dead

For nearly thirty years 

No comments: