Friday 8 December 2023

Uncanny Tales – (078) The Ultimatum

 

The Dulcets are a collection of villages and hamlets comprising of Dulcet Meadow, Dulcet-on-Willow, Dulcet Green, and Dulcet-on-Brooke, to name but a few, and of course Dulcet St Mary which where Amelia Allford and her boyfriend Steve Moore

were sat in his lounge and had greedily dispatched their Chinese takeaway and were cuddled up on the sofa, halfway through the credits of a Sandra Bullock movie called “The Lake House,” he definitely would, by the way, when Amelia suddenly said.

“Do you remember a few months ago when I said I didn’t mind you shagging other women?”

“Yes” He said cautiously “but…”

“And I know you still are so don’t bother trying to deny it” she said sternly, and he went to speak but she stopped him with a look.

“I don’t know who, though I have my suspicions,” she said flatly.

“And I don’t think I want to know but I know you’re sleeping with other women” she paused.

“And as I said last time I don’t mind.”

She paused again.

“For now, but there will come a time in the not-too-distant future when I will.”

“I love you and I’m certain sure of that, and I know you say you love me but I’m not so sure of that.”

“But I do love you” he said taking her hand.

“But you don’t love me as completely as I love you” she retorted taking her hand away “you are enough for me, but clearly, I’m not enough for you.”

He tried to speak again but again she stopped him, so he got up and paced the room.

“So, you have until February to sow your wild oats or to curb your appetites or whatever it is you do.”

“But by my 21st birthday I need to feel your commitment”.

Steve went to speak.

“And no that’s not a euphemism” she said without humour “you need to want me and me alone.”

“And that’s all I have to say” she said, he was cleared to speak now but he didn’t know what to say he wanted to say don’t be silly you’re the only one for me, but he knew he was a dog.

Steve knew that he was getting plenty, and he was liking that, but if he wanted to keep the girl, he loved it was obvious he would have to change.

“Is that why you don’t use the door key?” he asked.

Amelia was on her knees removing the DVD and Steve perched on the arm of the sofa just watching her almost in a daze.

“Yes” she replied without turning around.

“Because…” she began but couldn’t finish.

“You don’t want to catch me with another woman” he said finishing her sentence and she carried on what she was doing slowly and deliberately.

Steve was a little shocked, firstly because and it never occurred to him for a moment that he couldn’t have his cake and eat it too, and secondly although he knew he loved Amelia more than he had ever loved anyone he didn’t realise quite how much that was until that moment when he realised, he could lose her.

The prospect of losing her stunned him and he knew he had to make changes in his life.

Amelia finished putting the DVD in its box and switched off the TV.

“Don’t look so glum” she said as she stood up.

“I’m not giving up on you yet.”

“We’ve dealt with the serious bit,” she said slipping off her cardigan.

“Now we get to do the fun stuff.”

And she walked towards him unbuttoning her blouse as she did so until by the time, she was stood in front of him her pert unfettered breasts were in his face.

No comments: