Tuesday 24 April 2012

The Love Selection # 5

WHY DOES THIS LOVE ENSURE A CONSTANT HEARTACHE?

Why does this love
Ensure a constant heartache?
Love should be a salve for your soul
Not a dagger to pierce your heart
Instead of an empathetic companion
With shared values and mutual respect
I get lies, evasion and bitter betrayal
And when my tattered heart
Lies savagely broken
There is no sympathy,
No remorse
Just a shrug and farewell

I THOUGHT THIS TIME

I thought this time
That the love was strong
Founded on solid rock
And standing on granite piles
That would weather the ages
Like a great monument
But at the first hint of storm
The granite crumbled away
And the love fell with them

I curse my poor judgment
And my lack of prudence
As once again I am alone
And my heart is broken once more
The old adage echoes in my head
“What doesn’t kill you
Makes you stronger”
But the words are as empty as my life
But I will make myself stronger
I will make myself an island
My heart will be as stone
And my resolve will be as granite
Then my heart will never break again

MOONSTRUCK

I saw her in the moonlight
Bathed by the white
Of the pale waning moon
And I was moonstruck

An angelic vision
A moonchild of the night
Smiled a knowing smile
And then she took my hand

Beneath the splendour
Of the starlit sky
I took her in my arms
And I felt her tremble

And there we stood
In the magic of the starlight,
Where we fell in love
Where we were moonstruck

A FAMILIAR PICTURE

Seeing you that first time
Was like looking at a picture
A familiar picture
A favourite, dog eared picture
Often viewed, often handled
A picture of someone special
But we had never met
Yet there you were
A familiar picture
A picture in my mind
In my heart, in my soul
A familiar stranger
Who recognizes me

I SAW YOU AND I KNEW

I saw you and I knew
That I wanted you
I held you and I knew
That I was in love with you
I kissed you and I knew
That no other would do

DON’T WE ALL FANTASIZE?

Don’t we all fantasize?
Of that perfect love
That would grace our life
A love that is so special
It would be immortalized
In the sonnets of the bard

I LOST YOU

I lost you
And at the moment
Of deaths knell
A well spring of tears
Unbridled,
Relentlessly fell

YOU TOOK ME DOWN OFF THE SHELF

You took me down off the shelf
You taught me to laugh at myself
You taught me to dance and sing
With the joy of songbirds on the wing
You taught me everything I knew
Except how to live without you

IT WAS

It was in the spring
Beneath the canopy of oak boughs
Where you kissed me for the first time
It was in the summer
In the dappled shade of the same oak
Where you said I do
It was in the autumn
Beneath the falling leaves of oak
Where you were laid to sweet repose
Now it’s winter
And the oak boughs are as empty as my life
But soon I will join you dear wife

I LOOK BACK IN SOBER REFLECTION

I look back in sober reflection
Dwelling in conceit of my perfections
Glossing over my imperfections
But over all I look back with affection

No comments: