Monday 28 November 2022

ANOTHER OFFICE CHRISTMAS PARTY

 

The office party

Was in full swing

From a Radio

Music played

Too loud for my taste

And overly jolly

For my mood.

Wine was consumed

In copious quantities

As eagerly

As the temps

Who imbibed it

And the more it flowed

The more inappropriate

The behaviour became

It was noisy

Raucous and unseemly

And I had seen enough

So I drained my glass

And prepared to leave

Which was when I saw her

Standing alone

In a quiet corner

Gazing into space

An untouched drink

In her hand

And sadness in her eyes.

She seemed oblivious

To events unfolding

In the office, It was like

She was elsewhere

I hoped wherever it was

Was a happier place

She looked so sad.

I was drawn to her

Though not out of sympathy

It was in equal measure

Recognition of a kindred spirit

And a kind of curiosity

To determine the reason

For such great sadness

Amidst the jollity

Of another Christmas

Had she too lost

The object of her affections?

“Hello” I said

“Not enjoying it?”

She shook her head

“Let’s leave then”

I suggested

She smiled weakly

And nodded her accent

And we slipped away

When she smiled

She was much prettier

From that moment

I took it upon myself

To ensure she would

Never be sad again

That was forty years ago

And we’re still happy

No comments: