Tuesday 7 December 2021

CHRISTMAS WITHOUT HARRY

 

It was early when the children woke up

With their squeals of joy and delight

They hadn’t woken me though

I’d been awake half the night

 

Christmas held no joy for me this year

I was not looking forward to the day

And I always loved Christmas

This year I didn’t want to play

 

It was the first Christmas since I lost Harry

And each moment was a fresh agony

Everything we used to do together

Now had to be done by me

 

When you are the perfect partnership

It’s so hard when you lose one of the team

He was the cream cheese on my bagel,

I was the coffee to his cream

 

Its six months since he was taken from me

But the wound has barely healed

It takes just the slightest remembrance

And a fresh scar is then revealed

 

The children have all adjusted well

I’m so proud of the way they’ve coped

They’ve gotten on with their lives

And not sat around and moped

 

I’ve lain awake most of the night

Reliving Christmases gone by

I laughed at all the happy memories

And then the laughter turned to cries

 

It was going to be a difficult day to bear

And I would be glad when it was done

But I didn’t want to be a Grinch

And pour water on the children’s fun

 

Having Christmas without Harry

Was like having an undecorated tree

He was my best friend and soul mate

He was just everything to me

 

So for the kid’s sake I had to grin and bear it

Put on a brave face, smiled through the pain

I thought it would never end but end it did

And it won’t be that hard again

No comments: