Monday 18 October 2021

Uncanny Tales – (009) Spring was in the air

 

Spring was certainly in the air on that beautiful early Spring weekend, and what wonderful weather it was, made all the nicer after the long drawn out winter that preceded it, which probably seemed that much longer than it was because we had had no summer to speak of the previous year.

Anyway, the weather was so nice that after breakfast I left my wife in bed reading the Sundays and I set off for a good long walk around the village and its environs.

As I enjoyed the warm Spring sunshine, I noticed the many harbingers of the season such as the daffodils nodding in the breeze, birdsong everywhere and endless parades of cyclists along the lanes punctuated only by the occasional car towing a caravan.

 

After a couple of strenuous hours, I had worked up something of a sweat as well as a thirst to match, so I headed towards home, but because of the thirst I thought I might just have a cool refreshing beer at the village pub on the way.

However once I reached the pub I soon realised I was not the only one to have that idea and I had to negotiate my way through piles of abandoned bikes and was then greeted by the scene of a packed beer garden full of people showing far too much white flesh than was good for anyone which had the effect of slaking my thirst.

So I decided to give it a miss after all and went home early instead, where I could enjoy a cold beer in my own garden, but when I entered my house I discovered that my neighbour Gerry, had not only entered the house before me but had also entered my wife, and more than once by the look of the pair of them and I was immediately struck with by the thought that their actions had rendered me the first cuckold of Spring.

No comments: