Monday 2 March 2015

A Mixed Bag Of Verse # 2

I AM A LOVER OF PUCCINI

I am a lover of Puccini
And his music is so powerful
That the meaning of the words
Are almost immaterial

WE ALL NEED A PLACE TO BE ALONE

We all need a place to be alone
Somewhere to find serenity
A place for some “me” time
It could be in the mountains
Or down beside the sea
Or even sitting in the garden
Enjoying a cup of tea

IT ISN’T AU REVOIR

It isn’t au revoir
It’s not auf wiedersehen
Nor is it arrivederci
You will not appear again
Dignitas is simply
Goodbye to pain

THE GIRL IN THE PEONY RED

I noticed her immediately
As I entered the bar
The girl in the Peony red
And playing about her lips
There was an acquiescent smile
Which was aimed my way
But I didn’t return it
And let it pass me by
She wasn’t my type after all
I’m quite fussy that way
But I did cast a glance
In the general direction
Of the eager entourage of
Drooling men surrounding her
Feeding off her raw sexuality
And as I watched the mermaid
Surrounded by a pack of sharks
I realized that I had misread
The smile she sent my way
It wasn’t my company she sort
But my help she desired
She looked like a movie starlet
Cornered by the paparazzi
So I rescued the damsel
And since that day
We have been best friends

OUR FRIENDSHIP IS SO STRONG

Our friendship is so strong
It will never come apart,
Because the bonds of friendship
Come straight from the heart

IT PROVIDES FAR MORE PROBLEMS

It provides far more problems
Than any solutions it brings
For communism doesn't work
As people like to own things


PARLIAMENT ENACT THE LAWS

Parliament enact the Laws
To legislate our behaviour
Police officers patrol the streets
To enforce the law
Then the court system shows us
The error of our ways
Well that’s the theory anyway
Politicians call the tunes
And the police cherry pick
The laws that they enforce
And the crown prosecution service
Take only the cases they can win
Or that make them look good
And all three elements
Play to the media

SAMHAIN

Samhain, on November 1st
Is one of the four
Gaelic seasonal festivals
Samhain marks
The beginning of winter,
The End of the harvest season,
And the end of autumn
Celebrated with feasting,
Guising and mumming
And the lighting of bonfires

DRAGONS PERFORM AEROBATICS

Dragons perform aerobatics
In the azure sky
Griffons are asked to join in
But won’t even try
Dodo’s dance a perfect
Flightless jig
The bald eagle appears
Wearing a wig
Mermaids do aqua ballet
On a flat sea of glass
Unicorns canter through
Scented meadow grass
That’s the end of my
Nonsense I fear
If you want anymore
Try Edward Lear

HAPPY BIRTHDAY MUM

Happy birthday mum
See, we did remember
Because you are so dear
Just like every year

We will never forget
We just wish and wish
You were still here
Just like every year

So we wish you
A happy birthday
And wipe away a tear
Just like every year
Mary Evelyn Curtis 20/1/1921 – 29/3/1993

No comments: