Monday 26 February 2007

RUSH HOUR VIEWS

It was Monday morning again
The kids were back to school
And I sat in a jam
No better or worse
Than any other Monday
My car came to a stop
Beside the drive of a large house
Long past its best
And I saw fixed to the crumbling masonry
Of the once grand gateway, a sign
“Eland Place”
I laughed to myself
And pondered just how many
Eland run free
Along the A247
Then the traffic inched forward
And I looked again
This time the sign read
“Elan Place”
So I pondered again
At work I sort the definition of “Elan”
“Enthusiastic and assured vigor and liveliness”
Distinctive and stylish elegance”
“A feeling of strong eagerness”
And picturing in my mind
The dingy ramshackled house again
It occurred to me that
The prospect of African antelope
With their short spirally twisted horns
Making their way towards Byfleet
Seemed more appropriate

No comments: